Pride in Bridlington from the Community Resource Centre

Bridlington


Archive for the ‘Local History’


Flamborough Headlands Attractions 0

Posted on October 26, 2010 by lward

Dating back to the Middle Stone Age Period (c. 10 000 – 4 000 BC), some parts of the Flamborough Headland have been in human occupation and have become an attraction of the area due to the fascinating archaeology and landscape.

Dane’s Dyke

History

The area considered the most visually attractive is Dane’s Dyke, which research suggests, dates back as early as the Neolithic or New Stone Age (c. 4,000 – 2,200 BC). Dane’s Dyke is a huge ditch and bank earthwork, that runs 4km across the length of the headland, from the north of the head at Bempton cliffs to the south, down to the beach. It is believed that the earthwork was built as a defense feature, effectively cutting off 13 square km of the peninsula, turning it into a fortified area, which would have contained all the resources needed to support a community of the size.

Trivia

  • The village name Flamborough has been interpreted to mean either ‘the fortification on the promontory’ or ‘Flein’s (a Danish personal name) fortification’.
  • Over 800 prehistoric flint artefacts have been discovered, inclucing - axe heads, arrowheads, scrapers, and worked flint flakes – and several fragments of pottery scattered throughout the bank.

Attractions

  • Nature trails easily accessed from the car park.
  • Wide range of wildlife, especially breeding and wintering birds.
  • Excellent site for bird watchers.
  • Pebble beach
  • Chalk cliffs
  • Wonderful views of Bridlington Bay

Directions

From Bridlington take the B1255 to Flamborough. A local bus service is also available.

As Dane’s  Dyke is a National Reserve, be prepared to pay a small charge for parking.

Lighthouses

 

Anyone who has set eyes upon Flamborough head will have no doubt have seen the lighthouse.

The ‘New’ Lighthouse

  • Was built in 1806.
  • To protect ships approaching Flamborough Head.
  • It stands 85 feet tall on top of a 170 foot high chalk cliff.

The ‘Old Beacon’ light tower

  • Dates from circa 1674.
  • Stands 79 feet high.
  • Oldest surviving complete lighthouse in England.
  • Only known example in England at the time.
  • Believed to lure ships to shore as 174 ships were wrecked in the area between 1770 – 1806.

Directions

From Flamborough Village, follow the B1259, signposted to the lighthouse.

North Landing

 

Attractions

  • Sandy beach
  • Picturesque bay for birdwatching
  • Cliff walks to lighthouse & Thornwick Bay
  • Chalk cliffs
  • Caves
  • Bar & Cafe

Directions

From Flamborough Village, take the B1255 road, signposted to North Landing.

South Landing

 

 Attractions

  • South Landing Local Nature Reserve 
  • Sculpture trail
  • Boathouse cafe
  • Picnic areas

Directions

Take the B1255 on the way into Flamborough Village, follow the signs to South Landing.

Thornwick Bay

 

Attractions

  • Big Thornwick Bay & Little Thornwick Bay
  • Rock pools to explore
  • Smuggler’s Cave
  • Beautiful scenery
  • Cliff walk to North Landing
  • Crosslands Cafe

Directions

From Flamborough Village, take the B1255 on North Marine Road, signposted to North Landing. The turn off is on the left about 3/4 mile from the village. 

Pictures will be added once we get some sun!

Click here if you are interested in finding out more about local walks.

Bright Breezy Bridlington 0

Posted on February 25, 2010 by Old Brid Kid

BBBThere are often disputes about what BBB stands for and I’d like to provide some evidence for its correct interpretation.
From Bridlington Quay and Neighbourhood by Thomas Cape; printed and published at Furby’s ‘Observer’ Offices, King Street. 1877. “The arms of the town, in heraldic language, are party per pale, sable and argent, three bible B’s, two and one, counter-changed. The bearings in the arms of private individuals as well as in those of communities often appear in threes. They frequently had their origin in religious institutions, and may be considered as symbolic of the Holy Trinity: thus Kirkstall had three swords, Selby three swans, and Whitby three ammonites. In this case the division of the Shield, and also, its tincturings and device denote a high antiquity. The letter B was probably adopted from the circumstances of its being the initial letter of the word Bridlington. These arms are figured in Edmondson’s Complete Body of Heraldry.”
In Historical Sketches of Bridlington [1821, republished 2007], there is this short paragraph: “The arms of the town, anciently one of the priory seals, are party per pale, sable and argent, three Roman B’s counter-changed.”
In The History of the Priory Church, [1836, republished 2008], the following appears: “The arms of the priory have been assumed as the arms of the town. They are given in Bishop Tanner’s laborious and useful compilation, the Notitia Monastica, and are per pale, sable, and argent, three Roman B’s counterchanged, two and one. The simplicity of the colours and device marks a very high antiquity. The letter B perhaps has reference to the name of the town, and to its being originally a Roman station, and the number, three, was frequently chosen in similar instances to denote, it is said, the Trinity. Thus the arms of the Abbey of Fountains are charged with three horse-shoes, those of St. Mary at York with three swans, and those of Whitby Abbey with three coiled snakes, the snake-stones, or ammonites, with which part of the coast abounds, being traditionally reported to have been originally snakes turned into stones by St. Hilda.”
In Folk Lore of East Yorkshire by John Nicholson (published by EP Publishing Limited in 1973, but first published in 1890), a paragraph reads: “The three letters, B.B.B., forming the Bridlington coat of arms, are read as forming the initials of the phrase ‘Bad, Beggarly Bolliton’.”
It is doubtful that BBB ever stood for Bright Breezy Bridlington, or Brave Bridlington Boatmen [used in Come Hell or High Water, the town play of 1995], or even for Benedictine Brotherhood of Bridlington, as stated in an article in Yorkshire Ridings Magazine during 2009. That definition is pure invention as the monks in old Bridlington were Augustinians, if that was the intended reference.
As this device can be seen on the side of the Bayle, which has been around since 1388, it is highly unlikely that it refers to any attributes of a town by the seaside, as in Bright Breezy Bridlington. By all means let’s use that slogan, but at the same time let’s not attribute it to the symbol of the three B’s.

Local History 1

Posted on February 03, 2010 by deanster

Why not report on local history here? Add useful links to other websites, start a blog or reply to a blog. We would love yo hear from you.

  • Bridlington Flickr Photos

    SharonDiving girl - Bridlington 2016Bridlington Harbour - Yorkshire, EnglandYorkshire Belle - Bridlington HarbourBridlington Northcliff, Yorkshire EnglandBridlington Harbour, Yorkshire, EnglandBridlington Harbour, Yorkshire, EnglandBridlington Northcliff, Yorkshire EnglandBridlington Fun Fair, Yorkshire, EnglandBridlington


↑ Top